For Middle & High Schoolers
Griswold Scout Reservation
Hidden Valley and Camp Bell are coming to your home! We are in difficult times as we navigate through COVID-19 and we want the magic of GSR’s summer program to continue with you at home, just like you were at camp. We have prepared a program that Scouts, non-Scouts, siblings, and parents will be able to enjoy. The 18 merit badge-based program offerings were selected to allow for differing age groups and challenge levels.
Griswold Scout Reservation @ Home is open to all young men and women Ages 11-18, or completed the fifth grade, and it is for non-Scouts and Scouts alike.
How does this work?
Each kit will consist of the necessary supplies for the programs you choose. There are 18 different merit badge-based programs to choose from and you can choose up to 6 of these programs. Badge resources will become available on the Saturday of your week of camp and will remain accessible after your week. During your week at camp you’ll not only have fun with staff members and your fellow campers, but you’ll also complete challenges, participate in programs, and work toward earning merit badges. Just like summer camp, there will be daily opening and closing flag ceremonies, as well as evening activities. There will also be instructional videos for 3-5 “afternoon” activities that you can choose to complete at your leisure.
This program begins the week of July 12th!
What's in a Adventure Kit?
How much does it cost?
Each week allows for participation in up to 6 different merit badge based programs. And we offer flex pricing based on the number of programs you choose. Starting with a base price of $49, each daytime program you would like to add is an additional $20.
- For only $49 you will be able to participate in 1 badge of your choosing for that week, along with all the additional camp activities.
- For only $69 you will be able to participate in 2 badges of your choosing for that week, along with all the additional camp activities.
- For only $89 you will be able to participate in 3 badges, along with all the additional camp activities.
- For only $109 you will be able to participate in 4 badges, along with all the additional camp activities.
- For only $129 you will be able to participate in 5 badges, along with all the additional camp activities.
- For $149 you will be able to participate in 6 whole badges of your choice and all the additional camp activities.
Payments are due at the time of registration. All boxes will be shipped FedEx and will take 5-7 days in the continental United States.
Every option includes:
Your selected Daytime Programs plus…
- Evening Programs – Explore something new, enjoy a friendly competition, or hang out with the staff and your fellow campers
- Afternoon activities – instructional videos to walk you through a simple, fun project that you can do at home
- Virtual Campfires
- Flag Ceremonies to start and end each day
This program begins the week of July 12th!
How will the online programs work?
Each kit will have information to help you access the online resources: Zoom meetings and Google Classroom. Some programs will also include videos through YouTube or a similar service.
Can we go hiking and camp as a family on the property?
I have questions, who can I contact?
Sample Weekly Schedule
Choose up to 6 Daytime programs, one for each Program Block. Daytime programs run at the same time each day, Monday through Friday. Some programs will meet online every day, while others will include individual activities for some days.
Age recommendations are just that—recommendations. They’re intended to help you choose a program you will enjoy, not to prevent you from picking a program that’s recommended for another age group.
Recommended Ages 10-12
*completed 5th grade
Recommended Ages 13-14
Recommended Ages 14-16
Program Block 1
Program Block 2
Program Block 3
Program Block 4
Geology and Mining in Society
Program Block 5
Electricity and Electronics
Program Block 6
Pulp and Paper
Choose one program each evening – or spend some time relaxing with your family. Evening programs are open to all participants and there’s no need to pre-select which programs you want to participate in, you can decide at Evening Flags if you want.
Opening Ceremony and Introduction to GSR @ Home
Scout Skill “Round Robin”
Order of the Arrow “Ice Cream Social”
Native American Pow-wow
Intro to Fingerprinting
Older Scout Night (14+)
At Home Cast Iron Chef
Fireside Chat with Adam & Alan (Facebook Livestream)
About our programs by age
Choose from 18 different programs designed to challenge, educate, and inspire. Learn some new skills, discover a new hobby, and have fun while you do it! Griswold Scout Reservation @ Home has programs for every age and interest. Age recommendations are just that—recommendations. They’re intended to help you choose a program you will enjoy, not to prevent you from picking a program that’s recommended for another age group.
- Basketry- Work through the basics of basketry as you build three different iconic basket types.
- Scouting Heritage- Welcome to Brownsea Island! Participate in this living history experience as one of the first summer campers in scouting! Learn the history of scouting and play some of the original games that were present at the birth of this movement.
- Fire Safety- Go through the ringers and learn the ins and outs of Fire Safety to become honorary GSR Fire Wardens.
- Chess- Learn about the game of chess from basic rules to advanced strategies, and then compete against your fellow campers in a chess tournament!
- Gardening- Have you ever wanted to take charge of your food supply chain? Now is the perfect time to learn about gardening and start growing your own vegetables!
- Pulp and Paper- We have a nationwide shortage of paper, and we need your help to replenish the supplies. Learn the paper making process and help Griswold Mifflin become a successful paper company.